Saturday 14 November 2015

Preliminary Task Evaluation


1.At a micro, technical level, how well did you observe the conventions of continuity and the language of editing?
Our scene involved two people conducting an interview opposite each other whilst being sat across a table. We demonstrated match on action when my character( the interviewee)  opened the door to enter the scene. We cut from a POV shot of him pushing open the door to a wide shot from inside the room of the door swinging open. These two shots appear to flow seamlessly. We also show this in the first scene where the camera is focused at Jordan's character's watch then it cuts to an over the shoulder shot of my character walking in.  
  We demonstrated shot reverse shot again in the early stages of our film Before the interview was conducted we cut from an over the shoulder shot of my character to a reverse shot of Jordan's character beginning to conduct the interview. Furthermore we managed to stick to the 180 degree rule by making sure to always film on the left side of my shoulder, therefore from the right side of Jordan's shoulder.

2.What were you pleased with? What seems to work well and why?
Image result for match on action
I feel the best part of our short film was the match on action. Nat zoomed in on me opening the door then the scene cut to the door opening from the other side; it flowed so well and looked like a Hollywood ish camera trick! Very smooth. Also I believe the editing was also very good and we paid close attention to detail in order for the film to flow as seamlessly as possible.
3.What mistakes did you make? What would you have done differently? 
Well I don't think I have enough time for this question! As it is known, we did make quite a few mistakes, none bigger than being able to meet the film criteria. I think that fundamentally from the start our mindset wasn't right and we took the task for a joke slightly. I believe that in the end we made a pretty decent film and that if we had focused from the start and taken everything seriously then we could have had a very high quality piece of work. However I believe in the end we pulled through, but I would just say not to leave the work so close to the end next time.
4.How did you manage the group dynamics, equipment and resources?

Even though eventually the delegation of roles changed, it was always was quite easy and swift to change. From the start I knew I wanted to act, and my group didn't object to that. Initially Jordan was on the camera, however after our first attempted smile, we decided to change and put Nat on the camera, and that's how the roles ended. Equipment wise the tripod was very useful to keep the camera steady; also it was pretty light to carry which was a plus when changing locations.


5.What problems did you encounter logistically?
This ties in mainly with question 3, however the problems were more so regarding the aspect of handling a camera and being able to incorporate all the techniques in order to meet the criteria. Saying that I feel the biggest problem was the cliche of 'ourselves'.

No comments:

Post a Comment